Elkington & Co.
Image courtesy of eMedals.com
Elkington & Co. was established in 1815 by the uncle of George Richards Elkington. George was born on October 17, 1801 to a spectacle manufacturer. In 1815, he began an apprenticeship under his uncle at his silver plating business. Upon his uncle's death, Elkington took over the business. In the 1830s it operated under the name G. R. Elkington & Co. as he partnered with his brother, Henry Elkington. The company took out patents for electroplating articles in 1836, 1838 and 1840. They opened a new electroplating works in Birmingham in 1841.