Mint Of Poland
This Maker has no associated images yet.
The Mint of Poland was founded in 1766 in Warsaw. In 1791 the introduction of the marks M.V. (Monetaria Varsoviensis) and M.W. on ducats were minted at Warsaw. In June 1792, King Stanislaw August Poniatowski orders the Mint to produce the War order of Viruti Militari. The Treasury Commission takes over the Mint in 1794. On January 9, 1796, the Mint of Poland was closed as a result of the Third Partition of Poland. It remained closed for fourteen years.
In 1810, it resumed operations but was shut down against in 1868 by Tsarist authorities. The Mint's equipment was moved to St. Petersburg. It reopened yet again in 1924, but was occupied by German authorities from 1939 to 1944. The German authorities had confiscated the precious metals, so the Mint produced coins made of zinc. In 1944, the Germans blew the Mint up. It reopened in 1945 and relocated in 1952. The Mint did not produce coins with the name of the country or the national emblem until 1990.
Today the Mint strikes both national and international coins.
This maker currently has no products.