West & Son
Image courtesy of eMedals.com
While West & Sons state the founding date as 1720, the family’s first interaction with the silver trade began in 1748 when John West took up an apprenticeship with Bartholomew Mosse. He was followed by his brother Matthew in 1762, who later became a Master of the Company Goldsmith in 1784. Throughout the 19th century, the company evolved from Clarke & West (1803), to Matthew West, to Matthew West & Sons (1825) and later to James West & Sons (1841). The company exhibited in the the Great Exhibition held in 1851 in London, and in the Dublin Exhibition held in 1853. When James West died in 1877, the company was passed to his song Langley Archer West, who was in partnership with Charles Howard Lawson, George William Thornley and George Crowley. By 1912, they moved to 102/103 Grafton Street, Dublin. This firm was the principal manufacturer of the Order of St. Patrick. West & Son closed in February 2010.
This maker currently has no products.