Spink & Son
Image courtesy of eMedals.com
John Spink opened his business in 1657, after working as an apprentice to a goldsmith. However, this initial business burned down in the Great London Fire (September, 1666). In 1670, he rebuilt the business with his cousin, Edmund Spink. They were later joined by Edmund’s brother Elmes, who became the head of the firm by 1691. In 1703, they moved to 1 and 2 Gracechurch Street, Cornhill and remained at this location until after the First World War. In 1927, the whole firm moved to 5, 6 & 7 King Street, St. James. Unfortunately the shop was destroyed during the bombings in 1940.
Spink & Son made insignia for many foreign orders for governments that were in exile, including Poland, Greece, Netherlands, and Norway. Their hallmarks have been seen on many Malay State orders - Brunei, Sabah and Selangor, for example. Today, Spink & Son are known for auctions of collectible items such as coins, medals, certificates and wines. A common mark for this firm is “S&Sn.” There are now several international locations and Spink is considered one of the oldest insignia firms in the world.